Volunteer for MAIN ST.
Presented by RadioShack
Already Signed Up? Get the lowdown on Downtown
(click the blue button!)
Our Volunteer Mission: Provide the ultimate in festival fun, art, entertainment and value for our guests! This year, we are very pleased to welcome Fort Worth's own RadioShack as our Volunteer Sponsor.
We’re the team behind the success of the nationally-ranked MAIN ST. Fort Worth Arts Festival. To be honest, this event simply could not take place without the hard work and dedication of over 1200 volunteers who handle everything from hospitality to beverage sales.
The MAIN ST. Fort Worth Arts Festival began as a vision of Robert Bass, celebrated Fort Worth philanthropist and businessman. In 1986, he brought together the eclectic blend of music and fine art to help change perceptions of downtown Fort Worth. At the time, downtown was a place to avoid…now, it’s become one of the top downtowns in North America. And more is on the horizon. For over twenty years, MAIN ST. has continued its mission and has served as a catalyst for growth. And close to 20,000 volunteers over the years have helped us spread the message: Downtown Fort Worth is THE place to be!
With the support and generosity of the volunteers, we are able to offer the Southwest's largest, four-day visual arts and entertainment festival as a FREE gift to the community.
Check out our volunteer video, produced by Giles McCrary, showing the, "behind the scenes," aspects of volunteering. We need your support!
THANK YOU for giving of your time and energy and making this year's festival a success!
Please contact Diana Hahn with any questions or call the festival office at 817-336-2787.
The volunteer team is managed by volunteer managers who, along with MAIN ST. staff, work hard to provide the best experience possible for you. Diana Hahn, Volunteer Manager, and her team are available to answer your questions and keep you focused on the job at hand. The goal: Fun!
First year volunteers will be required to attend a brief training session to better acquaint themselves with the operations of the event. Many of the tools will be available online. Returning volunteers do not need to attend a training session unless they are working in a different area than the past.
As a Team MAIN ST. member, you'll receive:
- A “TEAM MAIN ST.” T-shirt
- Free beverage available after your shift.
- 10% discount on official MAIN ST. merchandise.
- Eligible for giveaways
New This Year!
We want to say THANK YOU to all our Volunteers, you all are the greatest! We will be having a drawing this year for a Framed Festival Poster. You can enter the drawing for every shift you work; one shift gets one entry, two shifts gets two entries, three shifts gets three entries, and so on. You can fill out your entry at the end of each of the shifts you work in the Volunteer Center located at 201 Main Street in the Wells Fargo Tower.
Also New This Year!
Sign up and work two shifts on Sunday, April 13 and win a prize! Open to the first 50 people that sign up and work the assignment you choose, you can win Festival Coupons! We want to thank you for Volunteering on Sunday, and this is a great way to enjoy more of the Festival!
Team MAIN ST. Priorities:
Commitment: Please give everyone your best effort and stay for the entire time you promised to work. If you are willing to sign up then we expect you are willing to work.
Courtesy: Patrons are the #1 priority! Remember, they are the guests at our party and should be treated accordingly.
Patience: There are approximately 1200 volunteers and an estimated 400,000 guests over four days. Please have patience!
Safety: Nothing should ever be more important than the safety of our patrons or volunteers.
Youth Volunteer Participation: You must be 13 years of age to volunteer. All volunteers under the age of 18 must have parental permission and an official MAIN ST. waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian.
Community service hours can be met by volunteering at MAIN ST. Please check with your community service representative for the procedures.
Volunteer Check-In is located on the first floor of the Wells Fargo Bank building which is located on the northeast corner of Main and Second Street.
Trinity Railway Express – This is the best way to avoid parking altogether. A complete schedule is located on the TRE website. Ride the train from any one of the stops from Dallas to Fort Worth's Intermodel Transportation Center located at 9th and Jones St. Once off the train the festival is two short blocks away.
City Center - If you're working a weekend shift or after 6:00pm, the Sundance Square Parking is free. (between 3rd & 4th Street enter from Calhoun St. or Jones St.)
Private Lots - There are private parking lots scattered throughout the Festival perimeter. Parking is pay as you go. There will be no reimbursement of paid parking.
Wear comfortable shoes and bring a light jacket if the weather dictates. Please arrive approximately 30 minutes prior to the beginning of your shift. If you're working a booth (especially if you're working more than one shift), please feel free to bring a small cooler of drinks and snacks (no alcohol). If you're working outside of a booth, consider bringing some sunscreen and lip balm. We do not offer lockers or secure lockup, plan on leaving valuables at home.
Beverage Services: Our non-alcoholic beverage locations are perfect options for volunteers younger than 18, as well as volunteers not wishing to sell alcoholic beverages. Several of these locations are independent carts in high traffic areas of the festival. Responsible adults (18 years of age and older) are needed to sell alcoholic beverages. Beverage Services is a great opportunity for large groups or organizations to participate.
Festival Support Services: Responsible adults are needed to be the eyes and ears of the festival.
- Artist Host – the care and comfort of our artists is an important part of the success of a major arts festival, and is one of the major reasons MAIN ST. continues to be ranked in the top ten among festivals from across the nation. Artist Hosts work directly with the artists providing important information, booth sitting and serving as the festival's host to ensure a quality experience.
- Block Captains - patrolling a one-block area of the festival site answering questions, greeting guests and monitoring the event. The Block Captains are typically the “go-to” supervisors for the Festival, and an indispensable part of our success. Additional training and hours are required for this position.
- Command Post – serving in the command center of an event of this size requires a calm demeanor and the ability to multitask. Under the watchful eye of our Command Post managers, volunteers will field radio calls, handle requests, make phone calls and otherwise keep communication flowing.
- General/Floater: If you know you want to be a part of the Volunteer team, but aren't sure or just don't care where you work then sign up for this. Once you arrive we're sure to find just the right spot for you!
Hospitality Services: Our hospitality areas service our guests, volunteers and artists. Duties include assisting managers any and all responsibilities associated with the coordination and management of:
- Festival Hospitality – Open each evening with food and beverage service for our top sponsors and guests. If you enjoy meeting people and don’t mind serving food then this is the spot for you.
- Artist Hospitality – located in the Courtyard by Marriott/Blackstone Hotel, our Artist Hospitality area keeps our artists refreshed all day long. Without our artists, MAIN ST. wouldn’t exist!
- Staff Hospitality – round the clock food and beverage service is provided for our top managers. Duties would include assisting managers with the proper maintenance and coordination of this facility in the heart of the event.
- If you enjoy meeting people and don't mind serving our staff and guests then this is the area for you. There are only a few choice spots, so sign up early.
MAIN ST. Creates! If you are a kid at heart then this is where you belong. The tradition continues with our MAIN ST. Creates! Area. Main St. between Weatherford and 2nd Streets is turned into a family and child's playground with plenty of activities along with great food and beverage. Come and play!
Official MAIN ST. Merchandise Sales: MAIN ST. offers the public a wide array of Official Merchandise, and volunteers are needed to help staff our Festival Store in the center of the event.
Volunteer Committee Support: This is where the action is! Volunteer support includes such duties as assisting with volunteer check-in and registration, uniform distribution and general support of the event volunteers. Spots are limited so sign up early.